One of the easiest and tastiest things you can cook, the pork tenderloin is taken from the along the spine of the pig, and gets its name from its inherent tenderness. The muscle is just not used nearly as much as the others giving it a mild flavor and gentle texture.
We used the Big Green Egg for this cook, and chose Mad Max Turkey Seasoning for all its delicious bright notes and plenty of sage. Think Mad Max Turkey Seasoning is only for the birds, then think again! It is the perfect rub for pork tenderloin, an easy to cook, tasty and tender meat. This quick recipe is perfect for a busy week night or for your next party.
- 1 Whole Pork Tenderloin (not marinated)***
- 1-2 Tbsp Dizzy Pig Mad Max Turkey Seasoning
or your favorite Dizzy Pig seasoning.
- These are also excellent:
- Raging River
- Dizzy Dust
- Swamp Venom
- Jamaican Firewalk
- Shakin’ the Tree
- Carefully trim tenderloin. You want to remove all of the membranes and silver skin from the exterior. This will allow the seasoning to create a wonderful flavor bark on the meat itself, and reduce your chances of chewy pieces.
- Once trimmed, cover one side with an even layer of seasoning.
- Wait a few minutes until the rub “melts in a little”.
- Flip over and season the other side.
- Let stand for 5 minutes to several hours until you are ready to cook.
- Preheat your cooker with a direct fire, approximately 350-400°F. You really need a good bit of heat because you want to brown the meat well, but not cook so long that you overcook the meat.
- Place on grill with the thick end of the tenderloin over the hottest part of the fire.
- Once browned well on one side, flip over. Browning the first side should take 10-15 minutes. If it takes longer, your grill is not hot enough.
- Continue turning until all sides are well browned, and internal temperature is 135-140°F.
- Remove and rest for 3-5 minutes.
- Slice, serve and enjoy!
***A whole tenderloin is not very large (generally 2 to 3 inches around) and approximately a foot long. They are often sold two per pack, and sometimes sold already marinated, which can be quite strongly flavored..