What’s better than shrimp and bacon on the grill?! With a little bit of work, this bacon wrapped shrimp appetizer pays off big time in the flavor department, and is a crowd pleasing favorite!
This recipe from nibblemethis.com is inspired by Big Bob Gibson’s BBQ Book by Chris Lilly.
- 1 lb shrimp 16/20 count, peeled, deveined and butterflied
- 8 slices thin bacon, cut in half1
- 1 Tbsp McCormick’s crystallized ginger2
- 4 large leaves fresh basil, stemmed and cut into quarters
- 1.5 Tbsp Dizzy Pig® Tsunami Spin
- 1.5 tsp black pepper
- 1-2 Tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 6″ x 15″ cedar plank, soaked in water for 1 hour (I used Fire & Flavor brand planks)
Sweet Tamarind BBQ Sauce
- 1/2 cup sweet soy sauce
- 1/3 cup barbecue sauce
- 4 tsp tamarind paste
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
1 Thin Bacon – use the cheapest, thinnest bacon you can get. Thick bacon will be not done before the shrimp is fully cooked.
2 Crystallized Ginger – This is a key ingredient. Don’t try to substitute ground ginger. You might be able to get away with using a sliver of fresh ginger but I haven’t tried it that way.