Smoked nuts are always a favorite, the nutty flavor mixed with smoke is always a great food bite. Add in a little Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom and the heat gets picked up for a taste unlike any other!
- Soak almonds in water for 10 minutes. Drain.***
- Coat with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Mix well with your hands.
- Shake on a light coat of table salt. Do not use kosher salt as the grains are too big and will just fall off after a short time.
- Season with a heavier shaking of Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom and toss to coat.
- Add more rub as needed
- Prepare smoker or grill indirect at 325°F with plum wood or other fruit wood.
- Place in pan (perforated if possible) and place your pan on the cooker.
- Stir every 5 minutes, and re-coat with your seasoning if needed.
- Remove after 20 minutes, or when the almonds are nicely browned.
- Let almonds sit aside until cool.
*** Why soak? You will find that your seasonings fall off after a short time. Salt just doesnt want to stay on the almonds. Through some trial and error, attempts of soaking in a brine solution etc. I have settled on a short soak in water to help with this. The salt now melts onto the almonds. In addition if the almonds are soaked long enough they will swell in size, and it will change how dense they are after roasted. 10 minutes won’t swell the almonds much at all. If you prefer this, use a warm water and soak 20-30 minutes. Try it both ways and see what you like the best.