Straight from the Andes is a surprisingly delicious and healthy ingredient that is gluten-free, easily digestible and full of nutrients. A staple food in Andean culture, quinoa doesn’t get the love it deserves in other parts of the world. But that is quickly changing in the last few years as people discover its high protein content and delicate nutty flavor to be a wonderful substitute for pasta and rice.
Bring this protein-packed and nutritious grain into your life with our take on creamy Peruvian quinoa, made super easy with Dizzy Pig’s Peruvian-ish seasoning.
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 small onion (about ½ cup) finely chopped
- 1-3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup quinoa, thoroughly rinsed
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 heaping Tbsp Dizzy Pig Peruvian-ish seasoning
- ¼ cup evaporated milk (or coconut milk)
- ½ cup Queso Fresco cut into ½ inch cubes (any white cheese will work)
- 1 Tbsp butter or margarine
- 2 Tbsp toasted pine nuts
- 1-2 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper if desired