Grilled chicken adds a delicious flavor to the go-to Asian comfort food — Fried Rice. You can cook the chicken any way you want, and it will still be excellent, but the grill adds a whole new dimension to this dish. The secret to great fried rice is to have a super hot wok. If you have a good hot cooktop you are in business. I often cook this dish on my Big Green Egg, which the wok fits perfectly in, and can accommodate a very hot charcoal fire. The higher the heat, the better the flavor when cooking with a wok.
Another key to making this dish a success is to have all of your ingredients prepared and handy. Things come together quickly when working with such high heat. The dish is cooked in 5 stages. 1) Grill the chicken. 2) Cook the eggs. 3) Fry the rice. 4) Cook the veggies. 5) Put it all together!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 Tbsp Dizzy Pig Happy Nancy seasoning
- 4 cups cooked medium grain rice. I used Jasmine rice, which was cooked, then stored overnight in the refrigerator.
- 3 eggs, beaten with a pinch of salt (optional, we did not use eggs for this cook)
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 small zucchini squash (or vegetable of your choice) cut into bite-sized cubes
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 6 Tbsp oil (higher temp oils work best: peanut, grape seed, avocado, sunflower)
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 green onions chopped (for garnish)
- Coat chicken thighs with Happy Nancy on both sides (approx 1.5 Tbsp)
- Prepare grill for direct cooking, at approx 350°F degrees
- Grill chicken, about 10 minutes per side, or until well browned and 170°F internal temperature
- Cool chicken slightly, then cut into bite-sized pieces and reserve for later
- Break up any clumps in the rice
- Heat wok until it just begins to smoke. Add 1 Tbsp oil, quickly scramble the eggs, and reserve
- Heat 2 Tbsp oil, add 2 cups rice and stir fry for 2-3 minutes, tossing thoroughly every few seconds. The hotter the wok, the more you need to keep the rice moving. If not smoking hot, give the rice time to brown before tossing.
- Remove rice from wok, and reserve
- Repeat with 2 Tbsp oil, and the remainder of the rice
- Remove from wok, and reserve
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil, add onions to wok and cook, tossing regularly, for a minute or two until lightly browned
- Add the other vegetables, 2 tsp Happy Nancy, and cook 1-2 minutes, tossing regularly
- Add the garlic and toss together with the veggies for 30 seconds or so
- Add the rice, cubed chicken, and the soy sauce and sesame oil (I use a sauce squirt bottle), tossing to incorporate and heat through, about 2 or 3 minutes
- Garnish with green onions, and serve