This grilled chicken spaghetti sauce recipe is loaded with flavors, and the browned mushrooms add umami to bring the flavors over the top!
Dizzy Pig owner Chris Capell can’t eat beef these days, but he’s a big fan of spaghetti. He was craving a big plate and decided to make it with chicken! But he wanted it to be loaded with flavor, so he decided to grill the chicken first and to add mushrooms for a little umami action. He then proceeded to notch up the layering of flavors even more by browning the mushrooms. The results were delicious, and the leftovers were gone the next day.
Gather your family and enjoy our take on this classic Italian comfort food.
- 4-5 boneless skinless thighs (optional b/s breasts)
- 2-3 Tbsp oil for cooking
- 2 Tbsp Dizzy Pig Mediterranean-ish Greek & Italian seasoning
- ½ lb cremini (or white button) mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large (or 2 small) onions, diced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or pressed
- 1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- Chicken stock as needed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan Cheese