A tasty pot of chicken chili is a great alternative to beef chili. This slightly creamy recipe is packed with great flavors, and there is really only a few ingredients needed. Pan searing of the seasoned chicken takes the flavor of this luscious chicken chili over the top. We think you’ll agree once you try it.
- 2 tbsp ghee*** or oil for pan searing chicken
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- Dizzy Pig Fajita-ish Mexican seasoning, or Molé
- 2 fresh poblano peppers
- 2 onions, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, pressed
- 2 cans drained white beans, such as cannellini, northern, navy
- 5 Tbsp butter
- 5 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half and half (or whole milk), warmed
- 1-3 cups chicken broth (as needed)
- Over gas flame or directly in charcoal, char skin of poblano peppers (don’t burn the flesh, just blister the skin)
- Place charred peppers in covered bowl to steam and cool
- Remove charred skin and seeds from peppers and chop into bite-sized pieces
- Season chicken thighs liberally on both sides with Dizzy Pig Fajita-ish
- Preheat pan (we prefer cast iron dutch oven) and add oil or ghee to hot pan
- Pan sear chicken until well browned on each side. They don’t need to be completely cooked, but thorough browning is important. We prefer the pan hot enough to brown in less than 5 minutes per side.
- Remove and reserve chicken
- Add onion to pan and saute while scraping off brown bits from pan
- When onion is translucent, add garlic and chopped poblanos, and cook 1-2 minutes more
- Remove from pan and reserve
- Add butter to pan and melt. Whisk flour in slowly, stirring constantly to create a thick roux
- Once bubbling and all flour is incorporated, slowly add warm half and half, stirring constantly
- If still very thick, begin adding chicken broth a little at a time being careful not to thin too much
- Keep at a gentle simmer for 5-10 minutes as it thickens
- Cut up chicken into bite sized piece
- Add chicken, onions, garlic, and drained beans to pot
- Add 2 tsp Fajita-ish
- Stir and bring to gentle simmer for 15-30 minutes. Thin with chicken broth to desired consistency
- Adjust seasoning to taste with Fajita-ish, and/or salt
- Garnish with cheese if desired, and serve!!
***Ghee is butter that has been clarified with the milk solids removed. It provides a great butter flavor, but won’t burn when pan searing.