DizzyFest’s second throw-down proved to be even more exciting than last year’s! Mike and Karen Beer came ready to compete and threw down hard, presenting a Fish and Grits meal that was cooked so perfectly, some who tried it said it was the best piece of fish they’d ever eaten! Make it at home to experience this awesome dish for yourself!
This is the Throw-Down winning entry at DizzyFest 6. Try this yourself and taste how awesomely good it is!
4 slices thick cut bacon cut into 1/4″ pieces
1/2 cups onion, diced
3 cup chicken or veg stock
2 tsp Bayou-ish seasoning
1 cup quick grits
1 cup shredded cheddar or jack cheese
Peppadew-Mustard Cream Sauce:
1/3 cup minced shallot
2 cloved minced garlic
6-8 syrup packed peppadew peppers drained and chopped as finely as possible
1/2 cup chicken or veg stock
1/2 cup white wine
2 tbl creole mustard
3/4 cup heavy cream
2 parts Firefly sweet tea vodka
1 part lemon juice (freshly squeezed is best)
2 parts cranberry juice
1 part Sprite
- Grit Cakes
- In a medium sauce pan, over medium heat, fry bacon until just crisp. Remove bacon.
- Saute onion in bacon fat until onion is translucent and begins to turn golden. Add stock and bring to boil.
- Slowly stir in grits. Add Bayou-ish, bringing back to boil. Lower heat to simmer and cover.
- Continue to cook grits for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and add cheese and bacon. Mix thoroughly.
- Spread grits mixture in 9×13 pan and refrigerate overnight.
- To serve cut into squares or rounds and saute in butter for 3-4 minutes per side, until golden brown and crispy. Sprinkle with Bayou-ish and serve.
- Peppadew-Mustard Cream Cauce
- Saute onion until translucent. Add garlic and continue cooking until garlic is just turning golden.
- De-glaze pan with stock and wine. Add peppers and mustard and allow liquid to reduce to half. Stir in cream and allow to thicken slightly.
- Preheat a cast iron pan for 5 minutes over direct heat in a 400°F BGE. Add 2 teaspoons butter and allow to melt.
- Sprinkle fish on both sides with Bayou-ish.
- Once butter begins to sizzle add fish, with the presentation side down. Do not touch for 2 minutes.
- After 2 minutes flip fish, close BGE, and allow to cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Check internal temperature, removing when temp reaches 135°F.
- Cover with foil until ready to serve. Fish will continue to cook in pan so don’t wait too long. Aim for 140-145 internal at serving time.
- Georgia Sunset
- Pour vodka, lemon juice, cranberry juice and Sprite (in that order) in a mason jar over ice (or other glass) and serve with a lemon wedge