This two part recipe is perfect for a nice family dinner. Shakin’ The Tree is great on cod or another type of firm fish and really brings a fresh flavor to this dish. The potatoes that the fist are served on absorb some of the delicious juices and bring everything together wonderfully!
- 2 loins of Cod or other firm-fleshed fish, generously sprinkled with Dizzy Pig® Shakin’ the Tree seasoning
- 1 cedar plank, soaked
- lemon slices, for garnish
- For the galette:
- 1 or 2 russet potatoes, slice very thin
- 1 or 2 tbsp pork fat/bacon drippings
- Melt 1 tbsp or so of pork fat or bacon drippings in a cast iron pan about 8” diameter. Place on medium heat and tile slices of potato in spiral, adding more pork fat, salt and pepper between the layers, until you have 2-3 layers. Let sizzle on medium heat as you do layering and then place a sheet of parchment paper and tin foil, followed by a smaller pan (or equivalent weight) on top of the potatoes. Remove from stove and place on grill over 350°F heat. Let go for approx 35-45 mins to create crust and sear.
- Place cod loin(s) on soaked plank (maple, cedar, apple or cherry wood) and place on cooker over 350-400°F direct fire. Watch for flare-ups and cook until opaque and firm. You can squirt lemon/lime juice on fish for flavouring at this point as well.
- When potatoes are well crusted and cooked through, remove from cooker, invert on plate so crusted side is up. Slide onto serving platter.
- Bank finished fish loins on galette. Season with lemon or lime zest or more Dizzy Pig Shakin’ the Tree rub if desired.
Spoon Dizzy Pig Fajita-ish Roasted Corn Salsa onto fish loin fillets. Garnish with parsley or cilantro if desired.