Nothing spells comfort like a nice hot plate of chicken Parmesan loaded with cheesy goodness. Not a complicated dish to make, this version is loaded with great flavors that will fill your kitchen with amazing smells. We skipped breading the chicken, so this version is also flourless and perfect for those that are avoiding gluten. Dizzy Pig Mediterranean-ish is all the seasonings you need, and the layered approach to seasoning this dish ensures some serious depth of flavor.
- 8-10 boneless/skinless chicken thighs
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large can diced tomatoes
- A glug or two of Marsala or other red wine
- 1/2 lb fresh Mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsp Dizzy Pig® Mediterranean-ish Italian seasoning
- 2 tbsp butter or ghee for pan searing and coating oven pan
- Preheat oven to 375°F and butter a 13×9 glass oven dish.
- Trim fat and silver skin from chicken, then season chicken liberally with Mediterranean-ish.
- Heat butter/ghee in pan over medium high heat.
- Pan sear chicken until browned well on both sides, preferably no more than 5 minutes per side. Chicken may not be completely cooked, but it will finish cooking in the oven. Remove browned chicken from pan and set aside.
- Lower heat to medium and saute onions and peppers for a few minutes until onions soften.
- Add garlic and stir constantly for about a minute.
- Deglaze pan with a glug or two of wine and stir until mostly evaporated.
- Add tomato sauce and bring to simmer. Lower heat and simmer approximately 10 minutes. Season with salt to taste.
- Cut up cooked chicken thighs to desired size. Optionally, leave whole.
- Add half of sauce to buttered pan.
- Layer in chicken.
- Pour remainder of sauce over chicken.
- Cover with slices of Mozzarella cheese, and dust with a layer of Mediterranean-ish (or Italian seasoning).
- Bake in oven until chese is melted and beginning to brown, and sauce is bubbling.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top and return to oven until browned.
- Rest for 5-10 minutes then serve.