Mashed sweet potatoes are the perfect side dish if you want to change things up. This recipe from Dizzy Pig’s own Sydney Rosen is versatile and easily changed to fit your own needs. Add salt, brown sugar and Pineapple Head to taste and make it yours! This recipe is great for big parties and can easily be doubled.
- 5 lbs sweet potatoes or yams
- ½ cup Half and Half or Heavy Cream
- 2 sticks butter
- 1 cup brown sugar, divided (plus more for topping)
- 3 Tbsp Dizzy Pig® Pineapple Head, divided
- 2 1/2 Tbsp salt (plus more for topping)
- Peel potatoes and cut into quarters
- Put into pot with just enough cold water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook until fork-tender, about 15 minutes
- Preheat oven or grill to 350°F (if using a egg, make sure platestter is in for indirect cooking)
- Once potatoes are cooked, strain
- Add cream, butter, ½ cup brown sugar, 2 Tbsp Pineapple Head and 1 ½ Tbsp salt, and mash together. Add more Pineapple Head and salt to taste.
- In a separate bowl, mix remaining 1 Tbsp Pineapple Head, 1 Tbsp salt and ½ cups brown sugar for topping.
- Pour mashed sweet potatoes into a baking dish and sprinkle mixture on top
- Bake until top is bubbly and golden brown, about 40 minutes
- Serve hot, but it’s also delicious cold over crackers
5 lbs of sweet potatoes fill the 13×9 pan, 2 1/2 lbs of sweet potatoes fill the 9×9 pan.