This recipe was created by Diane Grogan (the better half of the championship BBQ Team “Jus’ Fer Fun”) for the 2008 Florida Eggfest in Ocala, Florida . Diane wanted something quick, easy and very tasty. She hit on all counts as my family and guests love the Maple Bacon Wrapped Tater Tots.
- 20-30 tater tots (usually enough for 2 people)
- 1/2 pound maple bacon, not thick cut
- Dizzy Pig® Shakin’ the Tree
- Wooden toothpicks
- Thaw the tater tots until a toothpick can easily be passed through the tot, approximately 30 minutes. Do not let the tots sit out too long as they will crumble when trying to stick the toothpick in them.
- Cut a piece of the Maple bacon cross-wise into 3 equal strips.
- Wrap 1 piece of cut maple bacon around a tot and skewer with the toothpick.
- Sprinkle Dizzy Pig Shakin’ the Tree seasoning over the wrapped tots. This recipe is usually enough for 2 people. Wrap as many tots as you will need to feed your group.
- Cook for 45 min at 350°F – either indirect on grill or in oven. I cook the tots on a Big Green Egg®.
- Flip after 30 minutes to get both sides of the bacon crisp. Sprinkle a little more Shakin’ the Tree when you turn the tots.
- Remove when bacon is crisp and rendered and let them sit for a few minutes so the bacon firms up.
- Carefully remove the toothpicks. Eat & enjoy… your guests will love them!
Tip:I cook these a lot when cooking chicken wings. I put the maple bacon wrapped tots above the wings and let the maple bacon drips on the wings. It just enhances the flavor of the wings.