This recipe was created by Diane Grogan (the better half of the championship BBQ Team “Jus’ Fer Fun”) for the 2008 Florida Eggfest in Ocala, Florida . Diane wanted something quick, easy and very tasty. She hit on all counts as my family and guests love the Maple Bacon Wrapped Tater Tots.
- Tater tots
- Maple Bacon (not thick cut)
- Dizzy Pig® Shakin’ the Tree
- Wooden Toothpicks
- Let tater tots thaw for approximately 30 minutes. Do not let the tots sit out too long as they will crumble.***
- Cut a piece of the Maple bacon into 3 equal strips.
- Wrap 1 piece of cut maple bacon around a tot and skewer with the toothpick.
- Sprinkle Dizzy Pig Shakin’ the Tree over the wrapped tots.
- Cook for 45 min at 350°F – either indirect on grill or in oven
- Flip after 30 minutes to get both sides of the bacon crisp.
- Sprinkle a little more Shakin’ the Tree when you turn the tots.
- Remove when bacon is crisp and rendered and let them sit for a few minutes so the bacon firms up.
Twenty to thirty tots is usually enough for 2 people and this will use approximately 1/2 pound of bacon.
***Thawing: until a toothpick can easily be passed through the tot.