Wow. This dish was amazing so I had to post it. My Mom always made hamburger stroganoff when I was growing up. Nothing too fancy, just a wonderful pot of love…ground beef and cream of mushroom soup with sour cream stirred in at the finish. The easy-to-eat concoction was served over a bed of wide egg noodles.
When I made it myself it wasn’t like Mom’s… or at least not what I remember. So I’ve been wondering how to make Mom’s stroganoff into a gourmet dish that is better in every way than what I remember. I had a bunch of brisket trimmings from our bbq competition, and wanted to do something off the charts, so I came up with this recipe. It uses chunks of fresh beef brisket and fresh shiitake mushrooms to take the whole Stroganoff thing to new levels.
- 2 lbs cubed beef brisket (or chuck roast)
- A few shakes of Dizzy Pig® Cow Lick seasoning
- Oil for browning meat
Shiitake Mushroom Sauce:
- 1-2 lbs fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1/4 cup dry sherry (or apple cider vinegar)
- 1/3 cup butter
- 6 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
- 2 Tbsp Dizzy Pig® Shakin the Tree
- 2 cups warm milk
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 cup sour cream, or substitute with plain Greek yogurt for a lighter option
- Salt, pepper, Dizzy Pig® Shakin the Tree to taste
- Oil for browning mushroom
- 1 bag wide egg noodles
Prepare beef brisket:
- Preheat oven to 280°F.
- Cut beef into cubes, removing large chunks of fat, but leave some fat on as well.
- Shake Dizzy Pig Cow Lick onto the beef cubes.
- Brown beef in a very hot pan with a little oil. Do in small batches to ensure that you get good browning. As each batch finishes, reserve in a bowl.
- After browning, deglaze pan with 1/4 cup of sherry, scraping all the brown bits off the pan.
- When sherry is almost reduced, add 1/4 of the onion, beef and 2 cups beef broth. Heat until it just begins to boil.
- Cover and put into preheated oven for 3-5 hours, until the meat is very tender.
Make shiitake mushroom sauce:
- Cut up mushrooms, garlic, and remaining onion.
- Sauté the mushrooms in a medium hot pan with a little olive oil. When they start to brown, add 1 Tbsp of Shakin’ the Tree. Continue cooking mushrooms until golden and aromatic.
- Sauté onion in pan until translucent. Add garlic and cook until they begin to color. Remove from pan and reserve.
- Turn the heat back to high. Melt butter in pan and whisk in flour to make a light roux. Continue whisking until all flour is incorporated and mixture is bubbly.
- Whisk in warm milk, then remaining beef broth slowly as needed. Continue whisking until mixture begins to bubble and thicken.
- Remove beef/beef broth mixture from oven once meat is tender.
- Add mushrooms, onions and beef/beef broth mixture to your thickened sauce and stir to incorporate.
- Simmer for a few minutes, taste and add Shakin’ the Tree to taste. Adjust with more salt if needed.
- Turn off the heat. Add sour cream and stir through.
- Serve over wide egg noodles, and chow down!!