During Chris Capell’s showdown on Kimberly’s Simply Southern, both teams were challenged to make a side dish out of parsnips! Joellen Bulgrin rose to the challenge with her Pineapple Head Parsnip Fries, a delicious take on everyone’s favorite side dish! Click here to check out the video!
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 pound parsnips, peeled and sliced on the bias, omitting any woody core
- 1 tablespoon Dizzy Pig Pineapple Head seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- Set up your outdoor cooker for direct grilling over moderate heat (about 350°F), or preheat your oven to 375°F*.
- In a heavy skillet combine butter, brown sugar, salt, and water and simmer, stirring, until butter is melted and the sugar is dissolved.
- Add parsnips and stir to coat.
- Transfer parsnips with a slotted spoon to your grill or a sheet tray for the oven.
- Sprinkle Pineapple Head seasoning onto the parsnips.
- Cook parsnips over moderate heat, stirring occasionally until tender (approx 30-40 minutes).
- Stir in lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.
I use a perforated grid on the grill for this recipe, as added insurance not to lose any pieces to the fire.