This recipe from Tom Jackson of All Things BBQ is rich and hearty, perfect on a crusty loaf of bread or served as is on a plate. Pair it with a pint of Guinness and enjoy!
Dizzy Pig Cow Lick Steak Rub, enough to cover
1 boneless chuck roast
2 red bell peppers, sliced
2 green bell peppers, sliced
1 large sweet onion. sliced
5 cloves of garlic, sliced thin
12 oz Guinness Stout
Guinness White Cheddar Sauce
1/2 c onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 T butter, divided
1/4 C all purpose flour
1 C half and half
11 oz bottle of Guinness Stout
1 T mustard
1 T Worcestershire sauce
1 lb white cheddar cheese, grated
Salt and pepper
- Pulled Pepper Stout Chuck Roast
- Preheat your cooker to 250ºF.
- Rub the chuck roast with a light coat of mustard to allow the rub to adhere.
- Cover the surface of the roast with Dizzy Pig Cow Lick Steak Rub.
- Smoke at 250ºF for about 2.5- 3 hours. Internal temperature should be around 150ºF, at this point.
- Remove the roast from the cooker.
- Place the sliced onions, peppers and garlic in a half size foil pan.
- Place the roast on top.
- Pour the Guinness Stout over the roast.
- Do the same with the beer. Whisk out any lumps.
- Cook the roast until the meat can be shredded/pulled with a fork, about 3 hours. Serve on a bun or baguette with Guinness White Cheddar Sauce.
- Guinness White Cheddar Sauce
- Heat a 12 inch Lodge Logic Cast Iron Skillet over medium heat.
- Melt one tablespoon of butter in the skillet.
- Add the onions. Cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic. Cook about one minute.
- Add the remaining butter. Allow butter to melt.
- Add the flour. With a whisk, stir continuously for about 3 minutes.
- Slowly add the half and half, continuing to stir.
- Add the worcestershire and mustard.
- A handful at a time, whisk in the cheese until it is all incorporated/melted.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve warm on bread or as is.