Authentic Peking Duck is not only delicious, but it is a long process that requires a skilled artist to produce. We find that a simple roasted duck, seasoned with our Peking Chinese style seasoning, is actually really good! It can be cooked in the oven, but we took it up a notch and smoke-roasted it on the Big Green Egg over an indirect charcoal fire. Our favorite method is cooking on a poultry stand in a round drip pan. The idea is to slow the cook down a little to give the fat time to render out while the skin browns and the meat slowly roasts to perfection.
- 1 whole duckling duck (4-6 lbs)
- Dizzy Pig Peking seasoning
- Rinse duck and let drip dry.
- Without puncturing meat, cut or poke a series of teeny slits in the skin every 2 or 3 inches.
- Preheat oven or grill that is set up for indirect cooking to 350°F
- Season duck liberally inside cavity and all over the skin with Peking.
- Let rub sit on bird for 10-15 minutes to “melt” in.
- Cook at 350°F for 30 minutes, or until duck starts to brown and the fat is rendering.
- Reduce temperature to 275-300°F
- Cook for another 60-90 minutes, or until temperature taken in the thick part of the thighs is 175-180°F.
- Rest for 10 minutes. Carve and serve.