When it comes to game meat, venison medallions are pretty high up on the most-delicious list. It is a lean and tender cut from the back of a deer. With hardly any fat to protect it from the heat, it is best served at medium rare temperature. That means simple preparation and being super careful not to overcook.
Heavy long marinades are not needed, and may be a thing of the past once you try this venison backstrap recipe. We like to pan-sear this gourmet treat in a cast iron pan, although you can use any heavy bottomed pan. This versatile dish can be made in your kitchen using the stove top, or outdoors on the grill (we used a Big Green Egg®) to introduce a gentle smoke flavor to the meat.
- 1-2 lbs venison backstrap (loin) cut into medallions approximately 1” thick
- 1 Tbsp (or enough to coat) Dizzy Pig Game On! game seasoning
- 2 Tbsp oil for cooking
Cognac Mushroom Cream Sauce
- 2 small onions, halved and sliced
- 8 oz cremini (baby bella) mushrooms, or other small mushroom quartered
- 1/4 cup cognac (can use bourbon instead)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream