This recipe was created by Diane Grogan (the better half of the championship BBQ Team “Jus’ Fer Fun”) for the 2008 Florida Eggfest in Ocala, Florida . Diane wanted something quick, easy and very tasty. She hit on all counts as my family and guests love the Maple Bacon Wrapped Tater Tots.
Maple Bacon (not thick cut)
Dizzy Pig® Shakin’ the Tree
- Let tater tots thaw for approximately 30 minutes. Do not let the tots sit out too long as they will crumble.***
- Cut a piece of the Maple bacon into 3 equal strips.
- Wrap 1 piece of cut maple bacon around a tot and skewer with the toothpick.
- Sprinkle Dizzy Pig Shakin’ the Tree over the wrapped tots.
- Cook for 45 min at 350°F – either indirect on grill or in oven
- Flip after 30 minutes to get both sides of the bacon crisp.
- Sprinkle a little more Shakin’ the Tree when you turn the tots.
- Remove when bacon is crisp and rendered and let them sit for a few minutes so the bacon firms up.
Twenty to thirty tots is usually enough for 2 people and this will use approximately 1/2 pound of bacon.
***Thawing: until a toothpick can easily be passed through the tot.
Tip: I cook these a lot when cooking chicken wings. I put the maple bacon wrapped tots above the wings and the maple bacon drips on the wings. It just enhances the flavor of the wings.