Chris Capell’s twist on roasted almonds with a sweet and spicy twist is perfect for gift giving or having out for guests!
- 2 pounds Raw Almonds
- 2 Egg whites
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp coarse kosher salt
- 3 tbsp Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express
- 2 tbsp maple sugar
- Preheat smoker/grill for indirect cooking at approximately 300-325°F.
- Add smoking wood and wait for smoke to burn cleanly. Smoke should be blueish and smell clean.
- Pour almonds in large dry bowl.
- Whisk water and egg whites until foamy.
- Mix together dry ingredients, and whisk approximately half into foamed egg whites.
- Dump over almonds in bowl and toss until coated well.
- Add remaining dry ingredients to almonds and toss well.
- Spread in even layer (in batches) on pan. I found a pizza screen in a pan works best, but also had decent luck with parchment paper on a pan.
- Cook for approximately 30-40 minutes until nuts are golden brown.
- Remove and cool before handling.